Monday, May 3, 2010

Another Tender Mercy

So yesterday was our multi-stake conference (or was it a regional conference? I really don't know. All I know is that there were a heck of a lot of stakes involved.) Elder Eyring and Elder Hales spoke, and so did Sister Beck. You might remember that I spent much of last Sunday afternoon thinking about Sister Beck and her talk.

And guess what her talk was about yesterday? "Mothers Who Know," just revisited as "Lionesses at the Gate."

She made some of the same points and discussed many of the same obligations we have as mothers.

And I listened to the whole darned talk without feeling anxious or angry or misunderstood. I opened my heart and head and listened carefully and said, "OK, Heavenly Father, you obviously wanted me to be prepared for this talk today, and you loved me enough to give me a heads up."

Seriously. Wasn't that great of Him?

There's still that part of me underneath that wants there to be an easier answer than "Get with the program and figure out how to be a good homemaker." But apparently there's not. Apparently it's important for me, for David and for the darling children we've brought into the world.

But at least I know that Heavenly Father is aware of my needs and loves me enough to sometimes cushion the hard things. Sometimes. Not always. Sometimes I get knocked upside the head, and that hurts plenty. But yesterday I felt loved and known. That was nice.

No comments: