Saturday, February 21, 2009

Celestial Music

I just found a poem: Celestial Music, by Louise Gluck. I like the entire poem, but the first stanza especially struck me.

I have a friend who still believes in heaven.
Not a stupid person, yet with all she knows, she literally talks to God.
She thinks someone listens in heaven.
On earth she's unusually competent.
Brave too, able to face unpleasantness.


Despite all my questionings, my sometimes wayward heart, I will admit to still believing in heaven, to literally talking to God. He has graced me with the faith I need to face unpleasantness, to find peace in a life that can be chaotic. What a blessing, what a gift.

She's telling me that when you love the world you hear celestial music:
Look up, she says.


Yes yes yes.

Here's the full poem. It's lovely.

No comments: