Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Joy in the Journey

"I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and non-existent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now."
-President Thomas S. Monson

I'm working on this. Some days I have it down, and life is full of bliss on those days. Some days I can't wait for things to be better, for a trial to pass, for a goal to be met. Life's not so happy then. I get sidetracked so easily from what I am to do in this life. I know the Lord has beauty in store for me. He's shown me that again and again. I don't know why sometimes it's hard to trust His plan, when I can see His hand, His guidance, His direction in ALL of my life.

One thing has been made abundantly clear to me. Suffering is part of the journey in full measure with joy. When the suffering is so intense that I think I cannot bear it, not one more minute, not one more second, I am sometimes reminded that because of opposition in all things, the joy I will feel one day will be just as powerful, just as strong. And I have had that joy, poured out in great measure. The Lord stretches us, makes us better, and it doesn't feel good. But I have learned over the last few years that I can find joy, even in the midst of terrible pain. And when I can look at life peacefully, even in turmoil, it makes the joyful times that much more resonant.

No comments: